Friday, June 14, 2013

Tangle Weaving

An online friend recently mentioned that her son was into Zentangles so I looked it up. Basically, it's structured doodling. Of course, I've been doodling most of my life and I have the meeting notes to prove it! So, I decided to just do my normal doodles, then add some of the tangle patterns I found just to finish it off. After four hours, this is the result:


Size: 5.5"x8.5"

The next night, I purchased some Bristol paper and cut them into 3.5"x3.5" cards and made my first initial, including a paint palette and brushes:


Size: 3.5"x3.5"
While looking up patterns, I also found some designated as "line weaving" which I prefer over ZenTangle since I don't really like to use defined spaces that often when I'm doodling. In a post on Facebook, I put it as Zentangle/Line Weaving so my mother suggested I call this "Tangle Weaving." I like the sound of that.

I'm currently trying to figure out some sort of organization method so that I have a snapshot of as many patterns as I can get hold of, without having to print them all out. I may have come up with something but not sure if it will work out yet.

In the meantime, if you want to learn more about this, you can do a search on "Zentangles" on Google and Pinterest to find tons of images and patterns. The term "Zentangle" is a registered trademark, but "tangle" and "line weaving" are not. You're also free to use "Tangle Weaving" if that's what you prefer to use, no restrictions.

Resources:

No comments: