Sunday, April 10, 2005

Deafening Silence ...

I'm not that fond of sports ... I do like playing soccer and volleyball (I have a wicked serve), but I don't like watching others play that much. I do however, enjoy watching a good game of golf.

Don't ask me why, I just do.

Somehow, the deafening silence before a swing followed by thunderous applause reminds me of a Shuttle launch.

You're standing there, just a few miles away from the launch pad which is lit with spotlights from all directions. It's about 3 or 4 am and the announcer comes over the speakers starting the final countdown. The murmur of the crowd stops and you can feel the tension crackling in the air around you. As the countdown continues, you see the engines and boosters flare to life, smoke begins to pour out from under the shuttle as the flames hit the water below. And finally, as "One" still echoes from the speakers, the vehicle slowly and majestically begins to lift from the pad.

The sound beats into your chest making it hard to breath but you still shout along with everyone else. It's a triumphant and glorious sound. As the shuttle continues its ascent, everyone holds their breath until the boosters separate. The sighs of relief are followed by more cheers and clapping. The sound of the rockets burning above you can still be heard. Your whole body is still throbbing from the sound waves that hit you from the launch itself and you find that you're crying. Thankful that the shuttle and occupants are safe but remembering those who didn't make it.

I wish I was there with them, winging my way to the Space Station, then back to the moon and on to Mars.

The journey must continue my friends. Man aches to learn, to journey, to explore. Don't let the dream die.

Shorah Y'all!

No comments: