Saturday, February 09, 2008

Grateful for choices

With the first anniversary coming up of the Trolley Square shooting here in Salt Lake City, I was reading an article on one of the survivors (Surviving a day at a time) and it makes me even more grateful for the choices I made that day.

I rarely talk on the phone while driving but on February 12, 2007, I had called my father on my cell phone. I was paying particular attention to where the cars were around me so I didn't do something more stupid than I already was. By the time I got off the phone, I realized that I was several miles past my exit so took the next exit I could. I headed east and came upon a span over the road that said "Trolley Square" and looked to my left and saw the shopping center. "That looks like a cool place," I thought, "maybe I should go in and see what's there." I was about to get into the turn lane when I looked at the clock and remembered that my dog would be frantic by the time I got home, so I changed my mind and continued driving. Time: 6:32 pm

Shooter begins rampage killing five and wounding four. Time: 6:44 pm

I arrived home, took the dog for her walk, fed her and the cat, and settled down to do some work on the computer. Time: 7:00 pm

Turned the TV on to watch the news and heard what had happened. If I had turned instead of going home, I would have just entered the square when the shooting started. Thank God for choices, dogs, and watching over me. Time: 7:30 pm

No comments: