Friday, January 01, 2016

Happy New Year 2016!

So, life has been busy lately. I recently closed on a house and although I've been in the house for a month, there is still tons of unpacking to do!

I'm also working hard on patterns for another issue of Crochet Uncut but with everything else happening around me, including working full time, I'm not sure when I'll be able to complete them and publish the issue. But I'll keep at it! I'll try to add another post in a few days with some of the pieces I'm working on.

I've also continued to tangle and recently completed two new pieces.

The first one I completed on 12/21/15 and gave it to my friend Caye as a Christmas present. This last summer, I introduced Caye to tangling and got her addicted to it. She even purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 so that she could tangle in Painter. When I showed her the photo of the piece and asked her if she liked it, she said that she hated it because she'd never be as good as I was. "So," I asked, "I guess you wouldn't want it as a Christmas present then?" Yeah, she changed her tone real quick after that!


A View Into My World

Materials: Sakura Pigma Micron Pens, Prismacolor Colored Pencils on Bristol paper
Time Spent: 14 hours
Size: 8"x10"

Before I show the second piece, I guess a little background information would help. I'm a member of a Journal Tangling group on Facebook but never posted anything there as I usually only do single pages. I'd seen some tangles done on dictionary pages and music sheets so had been looking in various thrift and used bookstores for something I could use. Yesterday, I posted a request on my neighborhood's Facebook page for books, like dictionaries, encyclopedias, hymnals, novels, whatever, and one of my neighbors responded and about a half hour later, her sons showed up at my door with two boxes of books. Inside the boxes were 16 volumes of the 1979 edition of the Britannica Junior Encyclopedia.



I posted the photo above to the Facebook Tangled Journal group and was happy to see other members get excited about doing something similar.

Anyway, I picked out Volume 1, Ready Reference Index, turned to the title page, and started drawing. I finished it on 12/31/15, began coloring it today, 1/1/16, and finished it a short time ago. As I was drawing, I was thinking about whether I should do all pages in the books and leave them there or tear some out and sell or give them away (I'm part of an Art Abandonment group on Facebook). I finally decided that I'll probably do some of each. Then, an idea came to me to use one of them as a guest book! Since I'm in a new home, I could ask each visitor to do a doodle or drawing on a page, then sign and date the page. I can then leave it as is or add some of my own doodles to each page.

Anyway, here's the completed journal page in the encyclopedia:


Volume 1: Title Page

Materials: Sakura Pigma Micron Pens, Prismacolor Colored Pencils on Title Page of Britannica Junior Encyclopedia, Volume 1, 1979 Edition
Time Spent: 12 hours
Size: 7.25"x9.25"

Okay, that's all for now. I really need to go pick a box out of the garage and unpack it ... and my trampoline is looking at me with great disappointment ...

1 comment:

sharon said...

Fascinating, absolutely fascinating.